[Gllug] BSD

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Aug 29 11:13:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 12:00:26PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    Can anyone please give a brief up-to-date comparison/explanation between
> the three branches of BSD? All are available from the Demon ftp mirrors.
>
> ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/mirrors/
>
> ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/

OpenBSD - primary concern is security.  Code is proactively audited to
find and fix security problems in advance.  Great for firewalls and
other systems that just have to be secure.

NetBSD - runs on lots of different architectures (far more even than
Linux, I believe).  Never used this one.

FreeBSD - a good all-round BSD, mainly for Intel, but now also runs on
Alpha, Sparc, Itanic and AMD64.  For a while I ran FreeBSD as my
desktop machine (when I was working at Red Hat, heh heh ...) and it
felt a lot faster than Linux.  This is apparently because they have a
much more sensible scientific approach to developing VM, scheduling
and disk code, rather than the "let's tweak it here and locally
optimize it there and see what happens" approach used for Linux.

The lack of decent packaging systems (comparable to Apt) makes all
BSDs a pain in the neck to maintain.

Rich.

MAKE+ is a sane replacement for GNU autoconf/automake. One script compiles,
RPMs, pkgs etc. Linux, BSD, Solaris. http://www.annexia.org/freeware/makeplus/