[Gllug] TFT screen for SL-5500 (or Inspiron 7000?)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Aug 27 13:22:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 01:41:04PM +0100, Pip wrote:
> On Friday 27 Aug 2004 12:12, Michael Jenson wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Does anybody have broken SL-5000, 5500, 5600 but the screen is in good
> > condition; or can anybody direct me to find unexpensive replacement.
> > Aparently some Dell Axim models use same screen.
>
> I've got what I suppose is a similar difficulty, where my Dell Inspiron 7000
> works fine, but the TFT doesn't show anything. Anyone know any way of testing
> the monitor panel to confirm that that's the bit that's died, rather than
> being a cabling/interface problem?

I was given a similar but not identical model of Dell which was
reported as "dead".  In fact the problem was with the display, the
rest of the machine was fine.  I dismantled the display and found the
problem: the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the display attaches
to the top of the motherboard underneath the keyboard.  This
attachment had come loose.  Fixing it was just a matter of pressing
the cable back into place and inserting some folded paper to keep the
pressure on.  Works a treat to this day.

Rich.

PTHRLIB is a library for writing small, efficient and fast servers in C.
HTTP, CGI, DBI, lightweight threads: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/pthrlib/