[Gllug] Firewall hardware

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Aug 27 14:01:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 14:39, Ashley Evans wrote:
> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
[snip]
> >Firewalls with moving parts other than the odd fan always make me
> >nervous.
> >

> Nothing to say you can't run a MiniITX setup with CF instead of
> regular HDD.

Or indeed, with no disc at all.  I'm typing this on a diskless Mini-ITX
based workstation.  I've often been tempted to use the same for a
firewall.  It can boot off my main server (like this workstation does)
but have no write access to any of its own configuration files -
enforced by another box.  That would seem to me to make it very hard to
compromise.

And of course, it doesn't need any moving parts at all, not even a fan.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk