[Gllug] My computers got no nose^H^H^H^HCD drive

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 24 16:03:02 UTC 2004

On Fri 24 Dec, John Winters wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 13:50 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > I was told that only one system is
> > normally installed, so edit /etc/modules by hand.
>
> Any idea *what* to edit into there?  AFAICS, all relevant modules are
> loaded but the system still doesn't think I have a CD drive.
>
> John

   The problem in my case was that the SCSI driver modules were loaded too
late in the boot sequence for the drive to be found and registered, and then
FSCK complained that it could not find the drive. Any modules required for
the SCSI controller, and perhaps the drive itself, can be called and loaded
in time by adding them to the list in /etc/modules. You should then see a
delay during booting while all possible SCSI addresses are checked.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk