[Gllug] Server setup

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 00:37:27 UTC 2004

> On Sun 12 Dec, George Wright wrote:
> I'm just about to put a new server together (an Athlon XP 2400+, 2x80GB IDE
> etc) and I've decided to put Debian (Sarge) on it as it's much easier to do
> remote administration etc with apt-get than anything else. However, a few
> questions remain about the setup:

> How does one go about setting up a RAID-1 mirroring array between the 2 80GB
> IDE drives? Do I install as normal on one drive then set up the RAID or do I
> need to do it when I actually install?

   There is new documentation for the new installer, and specifically about
the use of RAID. I have never set up a RAID array, but I gather there can be
problems if it is not done correctly. If each partition is set up as a
separate RAID then I gather the /boot partition can also be a RAID
partition.

> Another thing is I'd like to be able to hook the machine up to a phone line so
> I can use it as a dial in server so that if I'm totally internet-less I can
> always phone in using my mobile and bluetooth and gain access that way...
> What would be the best way to set this up? Will it render the phone line
> useless for incoming voice calls or faxes?

   The correct choice of modem should allow your computer to be used as a
FAX and an answering machine.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk