[Gllug] Recommended distro

Nelson Menezes nelson_menezes at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 16:04:23 UTC 2004

 --- "Martin A. Brooks" <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> 1 vote for debian.
>
> Nelson Menezes wrote:
>
> >So, to sum it up, I was thinking maybe Debian or Gentoo.
> >I've never tried either and the respective websites both
> >say "this is the best distro on all universes", so I
> >thought I'd get your opinions. Do both distros usually
> >build from source?
> >

> If you like, but that's almost completely pointless. Why
> spend hours
> compiling something that will spend 99.95% percent of its
> runtime
> waiting for user input?

I agree, but... <stands up> I'm a geek.

> There are certain specific
> programs that
> genuinely do benefit from being compiled for the host
> kernel/libs/architecture.  You most likely don't use
> them.

That's a very good point, but I sometimes like to
enable/disable specific/usueless features to my heart's
content before compiling. Ideally I'd like to have the
choice of binary (when I just want it "to work") or source,
but with the same mechanism to update and uninstall.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk