[Gllug] ``Confidential'' .sigs [Was: hosts.conf/nsswitch.conf

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 10:05:56 UTC 2004

On Sat 04 Dec, Doug Winter wrote:

> Matthew King wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 09:23 +0000, Doug Winter wrote:
> >
> >>I'd say it's both - but abuse is certainly called for in some
> >>situations.  You can't expect to break social rules and get no response
> >>at all.  Sending out-of-office autoreplies in response to list posts is
> >>very bad form indeed, and completely unnecessary.
> >
> > But rather difficult to deal with when one is, as the message states,
> > Out of the Office.
>
> All vacation software I've ever come across (bar one) doesn't send
> out-of-office autoreplies to email with a "Precedence" header of "bulk"
> or "list".  All mailing list software, pretty much, sets the Precedence
> header to one of these values.  This is a trivial way of avoiding
> unwanted out-of-office autoreplies.
>
> The exception is, obviously, Microsoft Exchange 5.5 (I don't know about
> later versions), which threw away the rule book and implemented a heap
> of steaming crap instead.
>
> Don't use the out of office assistant on Exchange 5.5 if you are
> subscribed to mailing lists.  In fact, don't use Outlook or Exchange if
> you are subscribed to mailing lists - the number of infractions of
> simple rules for lists that it perpetrates is shocking.  Be a good
> citizen and use software that plays nicely.
>
> > People (in general - nothing specifically to do with the post to which
> > I'm replying, rather in response to this entire sorry thread) should try
> > being less highly strung.
>
> This list is pretty good, largely I suspect because people don't use
> exchange much.  Try posting to SUNMANAGERS sometime, and then wading
> through the 200 autoreplies you get, and see how you feel about it then.
>
> doug.

   My experience when I was working long hours for the BBC was that many
computers were placed in particular locations and shared on a 24/7 basis,
and not always allocated to a particular person. Many of the IT staff were
enthusiastic about Linux, were fully competent to arrange local adjustments,
but had to provide the facilities and services as dictated by others who
were often in a very different location.
   Staff did have their own email facilities via the main servers, they had
access to the internet which was required to obtain information relevant to
their work, but they had very limited access to the machine configuration.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk