[Gllug] IT disaster in British public authority caused by operator

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Dec 15 13:05:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Tethys muttered drunkenly:
> Nix writes:
>
>>I boggle at two facts:
>>- that anyone could miss that this operation was taking thousands of
>>  times longer than expected (!)
>>- that an XP service pack is willing to try to install itself on
>>  a non-XP machine. (That's just insane.)
>
> You missed:
>
> - that anyone with that number of desktops wouldn't have the infrastructure
>   in place to reinstall them over the network, rather than having to do them
>   by hand walking round to each machine.

If the machines wouldn't boot, and crashed instead, and were too aged to
do netbooting, there may be no possibility of that :(

> - that anyone with that number of desktops allows data to be stored locally
>   on the desktop, requiring restore from backup in the first place.

There may have been one centralized backup: I don't know. (A relative works
there: I'll ask.)

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk