[Gllug] subversion

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Dec 14 10:05:44 UTC 2004

Richard Jones wrote:
> The real problem with Subversion (and CVS) is that they define a
> priviledged class of "committers" who are allowed to use the
> repository in read/write mode.  Everyone else gets to checkout and
> update from the repository at best but basically are excluded from
> using version control features at all.

I've been using subversion for everything for a while now, and I really
like it.  I'm using the Berkeley Backend too, even though I didn't
really trust it to begin with (fear the transaction logs), and it's been
good.  I keep a months worth of backups of the repo though.

Although the repository is in binary, you can export it in a fungible
format if you need to, so you can meddle with it by hand if you want,
just like with CVS.  I've not tried this myself.

Richard's point above is a good one, and the darcs/arch/bk model sounds
excellent for large-scale open source projects - if your contributors
can work with it.  It does need them all to get the hang of it though,
which can be non-trivial.

One of the great advantages of subversion is that it's very similar in
mechanics to CVS, so it's easy to get developers to move to it.  I think
that's why it's quickly becoming something of a standard - it's like CVS
with the annoying bits removed.

It's also pretty easy for those with no experience.  I've been running a
project with some windows developers who have never used revision
control before (!!!) and they've been able to cope with it OK, although
they get confused by it easily.  Such is the world of windows
programming.  Anyway, they would just throw their hands up in horror at
multiple repositories and they'd probably go back to emailing 40MB RAR
files of source around rather than try and understand it.  If you ever
wonder why lots of windows programs suck, you could start there.

The final thing I like about subversion, and the absolutely killer
feature for me, is the magnificent Trac:

     http://projects.edgewall.com/trac

I imagine interfaces to other revision control systems will come along
in time, but Trac really is the dog's bollocks, and already I'd not be
without it.

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk