[Gllug] Recommended distro

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Dec 12 19:50:26 UTC 2004

Richard Turner wrote:

> So, my fears about using Debian are assuaged, but I'll be using
>
>'unstable' on a single x86 - why is that better than using, e.g. FC3?
>People here have successfully convinced me that the installer is now
>good and that the age of the packages in Woody isn't a problem because
>Sarge is safe, but if I don't take advantage of the Debian Security Team
>what advantages over other distros would I be taking advantage of?

Security patches are proactively applied to "stable" and reactively
applied to "unstable".  I shall try to explain.

You have application FooServer which is released in stable at version 1.1

FooServer is developed further to 1.1, 1.2 and eventually 1.8, plenty of
features added in the meantime.

A security problem is found in FooServer 1.8 that affects all prior
versions including FooServer 1.1 and so FooServer 1.9 is released.

Debian release a patched version of FooServer 1.1 that fixes said exploit.

The important point here is that _they do not upgrade_. The hole is
fixed for FooServer 1.1 but none of the additional features of FooServer
1.8 are integrated.

The opposite for unstable is true.  Because FooServer 1.9 fixes the
security problem, FooServer 1.9 is then pushed into unstable (or at the
very least a patched version of FooServer 1.8)

The is simplistic and slightly inaccurate but I hope it gets the point
across. Right now we're looking to stablise "testing" to release as the
new "stable", so much fixing and little "upgrading" is taking place.

Regards

Mart.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk