[Gllug] Sun hardware/firewall memory

Robert Newson ran at bullet3.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 18:52:19 UTC 2004

t.clarke wrote:

> With regard to the definition of 'multi-tasking', I always thought it was
> defined as being able to do the ironing / talk on the telephone, etc
> at the same time  :-)

By that definition any single processor machine can't multi-task - it can
only do one task at a time!  (But it is designed to switch between doing the
tasks, so that it spends a little on one, a little on the next and so on
until it gets back to doing the first, and if there aren't too many jobs,
the first one never realises it hasn't been running the whole time (eg
Ironing, taking notes from a phone call, making scrambled eggs on toast all
at the same time without burning the toast (no pop-up toaster, have to use
cooker grill) and letting the eggs get soggy).

AFAIK, there are basically 2 types of multi-tasking: pre-emeptive and
co-operative.  I think (in basic terms), in prememptive, the system
interrupts the task after a given time slice and then uses a scheduling
scheme to decide which task gets the next time slice (2 main versions of
that: highest accumulated priority and round-robin); whereas in cooperative
the system gives control over to a task and its upto that task to relinquish
control back to the system which will then decide which task to [continue
to] run.

The biggest problem with co-operative is that a task can hog the processor
and/or if it crashes the system could go belly up.

AFAIK, *nix uses pre-emptive whereas Windows uses co-operative.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk