[Gllug] C++ Templates, Opinions?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Dec 19 23:44:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Richard Jones uttered the following:
> http://www.cuj.com/documents/s=7994/cujcexp1906alexandr/alexandr.htm
>
> You've got to love these C++ programmers.  They're STILL
> reimplementing a string class, badly!

That *was* for didactic purposes, y'know.

> There are languages available right now, that - would you believe it? -
> already have strings.

Like, well, C++.

> Perhaps one day, once they've finished strings, they'll be able to do,
> oh, I don't know, garbage collection,

See Boost.

>                                       or regular expressions, or

See Boost.

> bounds checking,

See any halfway-decent STL implementation, including the one in GCC.

>                  and actually make the language useful for something ...

Now there you may have me --- although I think KDE speaks for itself,
really. Whether or not KDE is actually *useful* is another matter; but
it's demonstrably possible now to write large systems in C++ on Linux
and not have them melt down.

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk