[Gllug] Server setup

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Mon Dec 13 00:51:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 23:34 +0000, George Wright wrote:

> How does one go about setting up a RAID-1 mirroring array between the 2 80GB
> IDE drives? Do I install as normal on one drive then set up the RAID or do I
> need to do it when I actually install?

Anytime, doesn't matter. Create identical partitions on both disks (I
set 500 MB swap first, 200 MB / next, the rest /usr where /tmp
-> /usr/TMP, /var -> /usr/VAR, /home -> /usr/HOME, reasons behind it,
doesn't matter).

If they differ in size, check you have same disk geometry, if not, force
it with fdisk (make second like first). Rare problem, I hit it of
course, you might be more lucky.

Set partition types to FD : Linux raid autodetect (cfdisk is your
friend).

Traditionally, I has been recommended against putting your swap space on
SW RAID, so don't do it. Set up two swapspaces instead ('mkswap',
'swapon' and editing '/etc/fstab' are helpful).

Create SW RAIDs:
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda2 /dev/hdc2

That is if you actually put swaps first on /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1,
respectively.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk