[Gllug] Sun hardware/firewall memory

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 13:41:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 11:13:15AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Ben Fitzgerald writes:
>
> >We seem to be focussing this discussion down to headless bios level
> >access so I assume you find this very important.
>
> Very. All of the important boxen I have to look after are headless, and
> racked up mostly several miles away.
>
> >I regularly enjoy logging into SUN boxes over ssh to reset the ALOM
> >interface (which has hung and lost it's IP address!). That said ALOM
> >is pretty reliable IMHO.
>
> ALOM was a mistake IMHO. The earlier LOM gave everything that was needed,
> and ALOM just adds extra complexity and hence more things to go wrong
> without giving appropriate benefits.

And don't forget RSC! With all these silly little variants coming from
one company it's know wonder disparate x86 vendors are taking time to
converge on a standard. Still, standards do emerge - let's hope x86
delivers a good headless BIOS. If it did, would you accept that x86
offers strong competition to SUN in other hardware areas and therefore
is a serious rival? Please don't just say that this assumption is too
large and so dismiss my point! :)

Ben

--
Registered Linux user number 339435