[Gllug] Address range on D-link 300G+ modem

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.net
Wed Dec 8 14:50:15 UTC 2004

Hello Henrik

On 7 Dec 2004 at 10:07, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> ... I got a four address range from my ISP. ...
> Well, my modem (which basically is an DHCP activated bridge
> thingy) picks up the first address correctly (.233) but says the
> following address (.234) is the PPP address at my ISP. This doesn't
> work. My ISP won't help and all they said was that I had to specify
> the addresses to my modem instead of letting it negotiating it. I
> don't think it can do that and wouldn't know the PPP address anyway.
>
> Can anyone tell me where the problem lies here or how to fix it? It
> would be much appriciated (worth a few pints at the next meet).

The Netgear's do it fine both the old DG814 and the new DG834.  I use it like that here
and on a number of customer sites. I only really know the Netgear's since I'm a reseller
for them.

Basically you switch of NAT and set the outside and the inside address of the router to
be the same address then on the Lan side (with your addresses) you set:

IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.233
Netmask:   255.255.255.252

The only problem is that with just 4 addresses you have:

xxx.xxx.xxx.232 Network address
xxx.xxx.xxx.233 Router/Gateway
xxx.xxx.xxx.234 Usable address
xxx.xxx.xxx.235 Broadcast address

So with 4 addresses I've never seen any advantage over a single address.  Once you
get beyond that it's more interesting.

I've got 16 (13 usable) addresses from Demon on a business a/c and 8 (5 usable) from
Zen on a retail a/c and that's quite convenient.

The 8 from Zen have generic DNS records but I didn't have to justify them and got them
on a retail account 512/256 50:1

The 16 from Demon have full forward and reverse DNS to my specification but are on a
business a/c 2048/256 20:1. I did have to justify going as high as 16 addresses and I
don't know if the fact that I am a Demon reseller had any effect on them granting me 16
addresses.

Peter Ball
Computers For Linguists
peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk