[Gllug] Continued spamassassin strangeness

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 24 20:04:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 17:42, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>
> >I rebuilt these and got my spamassassin to learn what was spam and what
> >was ham (shameless plug: http://junkcomputers.blogspot.com/ tells you
> >more).
> >

> This is not really useful.  You want SA to learn about your entire
> overall mail throughput, not just the stuff that ends up in one
> mailbox.  Just wipe your bayes db and let it autolearn from scratch.
> You may also want to use greylisting, that _really_ helps when it comes
> to cutting out spam.

The problem is getting it to do the learning. An examination of my logs
shows what the problem seems to be...

Dec 24 18:14:54 flare spamd[21384]: cannot write to
/root/.spamassassin/bayes_journal, Bayes db update ignored

But changing the permissions and owner of the file doesn't seem to have
made any difference :( So there is clearly a level of sophistication
involved here that I haven't yet found.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk