[Gllug] FUD? MS Small Business Server and Samba no-no

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Thu Dec 23 23:40:31 UTC 2004

In message <1103686804.3349.35.camel at expensive>, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann
<trmsw at yahoo.co.uk> writes
>At work we have MS Small Business Server. Please don't laugh, too much.
>
>It used to do the print serving, but it kept screwing up so they used a
>Linux box I'd set up, and that worked ok-ish only the printers often
>complained of lack of memory (Adobe PS drivers) & oh yes, the server had
>to be rebooted a couple of times...
>
>This was blamed on the fact that SBS gets stroppy if there is another
>file server on the network - ie the Linux machine. To the objection that
>there was already another Windows machine serving files, it was claimed
>that it was different if it was another Windows machine, SBS didn't mind
>*that*.

Which version of SBS? I ran the NT4 based one on a network that included
several Samba servers, we didn't have any more problems than we had
without them. I did have to turn off the licensing service on the NT4
servers because we were getting bogus too many connection errors. That
was nothing to do with Samba, it was a known bug in NT4.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk