[Gllug] OT: Printer Cartridges

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 12:05:08 UTC 2004

Ashley Evans <hoshy at hoshy.co.uk> wrote:-

On Friday 17 December 2004 09:08, john gennard wrote:

 >> Does anyone know if a colour cartridge can be loaded
 >> with black ink?
 >>
 >> I have an Epson Photo 810 (which needs both a colour
 >> and a black cartridge to work) and no longer use it
 >> for colour printing. Although I set the default to
 >> 'black' (for all text work), the colour cartridge
 >> gradually empties. If I fill all chambers of an old
 >> colour cartridge, with black ink would the printer
 >> 'fail to notice'?
 >>
 >> Can't find anyone on google who has tried this.
 >>
 >> John.

 > In my limited printing experience I'd say there's no reason why
 > this can't be done.  The two caveats I can see are whether there
 > is a possible ink density difference and if the cartridges have
 > those damned 'status chips'.

 > hth,

 > Ashley

Ah! Hadn't thought of those points. Presumably, you wonder
if the nozzle sizes come into play - I've no intention of
using the colour cartridge full of black ink (just hoping
the printer thinks 'there's a cartridge there, so that's ok).

The cartridges are 'chipped', but vendors offer 'non chipped'
compatible ones for the specific machine, and I understand
the only problem with these is that you get no graphical
indication of how much ink remains.

Thanks for the response.			John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk