[Gllug] ``Confidential`` .sigs

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 13:03:32 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 21:06 +0000, John Winters wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 19:54, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    But vegetarians go out of their way to disguise non-meat products, some
> > people think that there is some real meat in all sausages, there is soya
> > "milk", margarine, etc...

Whilst also emblazoning then with a big green 'V' so that vegetarians
will buy them, right?  ;)

Why would vegetarians want to disguise that fact that there's no meat in
a particular product?  To a vegetarian that's a good thing.  Vegetarians
aren't all on some covert mission to fool meat-eating people into
vegetarianism; many of them couldn't give a damn what other people eat.

> I always find that one a bit odd.  I eat a lot of vegetarian food, but I
> draw the line at vegetarian food which is pretending to be meat-food.
> Every single vegetarian sausage I've ever tasted has been repulsive.

Waitrose vegetarian Cumberland sausages: excellent!

> Why bother?  If you're a vegetarian then you don't need to pretend to
> yourself that you're not.

What if you used to eat and enjoy the flavour and texture of meat but
have become vegetarian because you can no longer stomach (if you'll
excuse the pun) the thought that the tasty meal you just ate used to be
a living animal?   There are countless reasons why someone may be
vegetarian; evidently many of them accommodate eating faux meat products
- hence sustained market demand - if you don't understand then don't
presume to judge.

> There is of course no possible chance of coming up with a substitute for
> a decent bacon sandwich.

You're quite right :(

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

B53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3  4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E