[Gllug] [OT] Unlocking Mobile Phone

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 06:34:15 UTC 2004

On Friday 10 Dec 2004 00:51, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 12:33 +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:29:34PM -0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> > > Does anyone know anything about unlocking mobile phones ?
> >
> > What sort of phone is it?
> >
> > > Is it illegal to unlock a mobile phone ?
> >
> > Certainly not!  Although I'm sure the networks would like it to be ...
>
> Are you sure? It may well be a breach of contract, which certainly isn't
> *criminal*, but could theoretically leave you open to a civil suit.

The phone companies could try, but they'd probably not bother as the cost of
litigation (win or lose) would outweigh the price of the telephone.

You must also remember: the UK is one of the most expensive places in the
world to make a phone call - anything you can do to reduce the bloated
profits of the phone companies is to be welcomed!

Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk