[Gllug] IT disaster in British public authority caused by operator

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 19:04:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 04:45:38PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Bruce Richardson mused:
<snip>

> Then they don't understand why those of us with enough of the
> programmer's way of thought to automate whenever we have the chance look
> down on them with such scorn. Obviously *we're* taking the harder route,
> not they --- and, if we'd been as incompetent as they, we would have
> been.
>
> So I think it's just another manifestation of incompetents not knowing
> they're incompetent because they don't realise what there is to know.

Not always the case. Contractors will deliberately avoid implementing
automation to ensure the workload stays high enough to keep them in
a job! I find this attitude to be odd but some are of this mindset.

In this case EMDS itself would also benefit in total billed hours, if
that is the arrangement they have with the government. Perhaps they
have a pre-agreed fee - but I doubt it.

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk