[Gllug] [OT] Unlocking Mobile Phone

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 14:56:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 11:07 +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Their problem not mine. If they want to avoid losses, then they need
> to price it such that:
>
> 	handset + 12 * monthly line rental > actual handset cost
>
> If they choose not to do so, then they have to accept that some
> people will take advantage of it.

Yes, they must figure that in somehow.

> There's nothing illegal about that.
> But I suspect that they *do* recoup the cost of the handset, even if
> you don't make any calls anyway.

It would be interesting to know the actual figures, though I'd think
they keep that kind of information hidden away. As line rentals don't
vary by phone model, maybe the expensive handsets are balanced out by
the fact that people with cheap ones pay the same line rental.

More interestingly, the operators appear to be on the verge of getting
hammered over their roaming charges:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/10/mobile_roaming_probe/

Now that's an activity that really is criminal, if you ask me...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk