[Gllug] Decoding digital video

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Dec 8 10:39:29 UTC 2004

This one time, at band camp, Huw Lynes wrote:

> Hardware MPEG decoders are fairly rare in mainstream PC kit because the CPUs
> are now so stupidly fast. If your box plays DVDs back OK then it's MPEG
> decoding ability is fine. Hauppauge does do a DVB card with an MPEG decoder
> but you have to import it from Germany. And it's expensive.
>
> I have a feeling that the ATI all-in-wonder line of cards may have MPEG
> decoding capabilities but I may be mis-remembering.

Hollywood Plus cards from Sigma do MPEG decoding.  They're
well-supported in Linux and both xine and mplayer and work well.  There
was a project to get this working with vdr as well, so that you could
use the low-end DVB cards.  They mentioned getting it working, but I'm
not sure how well (OSD being the main issue).

Importantly, the video-out hardware provides a rock solid, crystal clear
picture.  Something you won't get from most crappy TV-out cards.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/ has had these cards for about 17
quid for the last few days.  (Usual caveats for dealing with online tech
retailers apply.)

I have one going spare if anyone wants a loaner to test before buying.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Just because you're on holiday, doesn't mean you're not a geek.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

 "A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should
  be done for the first time."
- Alfred E Wiggam