[Gllug] C++ Templates, Opinions?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Dec 19 23:45:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, mimo at restoel.net yowled:
> Nix wrote:
>
>> I personally think templates are by far the best feature of C++. If you
>>
>>want to be awed, read Alexandrescu's mistitled _Modern C++ Design_:
>><http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0au_a&file=m002281a>.
>>
>>As Francis says in his review,
>>
>>`By the time you have finished reading and thinking about this material
>> you will wonder why you ever doubted the power of C++ templates.'
>>
>>He's right.
>
> Just a question: have you ever seen a linux implementation of the loki
> library? The one you can download from his site works on Visual C++,
> but the linux version is missing all the essential features (_for me_)
> like thread safety.

I think if you want thread-safety you'll have to provide it.

IIRC, it *has* done exception-safety, which is arguably a fsck of a lot
harder than thread-safety (exception-safety problems are a major
reason to avoid C++, IMHO, and I like the language).

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk