[Gllug] DEC site melts down

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 17:33:00 UTC 2004

Rev Simon Rumble opined:

> I think I can work out where the problem lies:
> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.dec.org.uk

So you don't think it has anything to do with:

a) Massive oversubscription
b) Lack of resources - ie probably only one not terribly high-spec box
c) Therefore no loadbalancing
d) Probably limited bandwidth

Some of the highest volume websites I admin are running on win2k and
are delivering 30M a second and managing millions of hits - I somehow
don't think this is actually the bottleneck.

Please do lay into Microsoft when you've actually got a case - I'll be
right behind you.  This kind of comment just makes linux users look
like idiots.

Why not raise a valid point like why charities are wasting money on
software licences?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk