[Gllug] Transparent Terminal

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Dec 8 12:44:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:53:36AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Daniel P. Berrange stipulated:
> >                              Curious as to the reasons, I ran OProfile
> > against both XTerm and Gnome Terminal, and discovered that by far the
> > largest bottleneck was in the client side font rendering library. I
>
> You sure? I'd expect the delay to be because that library makes use
> of the render extension on the server, and the server's render extension
> implementation isn't accelerated anywhere yet (except for MGA cards).

Just ran it again and it shows 20% of all execution time spent inside
libXft.so (don't have the -debuginfo RPMs handy so couldn;t get the
exact symbol names this time). Next biggest sample is g_tree_node_lookup
in glib.so accounting for 10% of samples. Then it there are a few at
3-5% in memcpy, memset, etc and a couple of symbols in libvte.

Comparing to xterm, the 51% of time is in memmove. No hits for font
rendering functions, either in the xterm (& its libs), or the Xserver
itself. The server hits are again is all in low level graphics functions
bitblt-type stuff.

Dan.