[Gllug] Mail server

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Dec 7 23:51:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004, adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk mused:
> My current problem is that I have (for historical reasons) got kmail
> running on a reasonable but not fantastic Athlon 800 MHz/128MB box and
> when I run spamassassin (I get a *lot* of spam) it locks the box up -

Fixes, if you really must run SA from your mailer (ick bleah):

- If the problem is CPU load, use spamd/spamc instead: using
  `spamassassin' itself is terribly inefficient.

- If you're using SA 3.0.x, pass --max-children=1, or, if that
  slows down SA too much (possible if you get a very large amount of
  spam indeed), apply the patch
  <http://bugzilla.spamassassin.org/attachment.cgi?id=2527&action=view>,
  which uses the Apache preforking algorithm to reduce and increase the
  number of SA children appropriately.  In SA 3.0.x by default, the
  children are round-robined, which increases SA's already substantial
  memory hit by about a factor of five in the default configuration
  (which has --max-children=5).

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk