[Gllug] C++ Templates, Opinions?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Dec 19 20:46:55 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 04:50:32PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> Oh, Alexandescu is *smart*. Policy classes are a *genius* idea.
> The only problem with template metaprogramming is that because
> it wasn't actually an original design feature of C++, its
> syntax is rather baroque and hard to read.

http://www.cuj.com/documents/s=7994/cujcexp1906alexandr/alexandr.htm

You've got to love these C++ programmers.  They're STILL
reimplementing a string class, badly!

There are languages available right now, that - would you believe it? -
already have strings.

Perhaps one day, once they've finished strings, they'll be able to do,
oh, I don't know, garbage collection, or regular expressions, or
bounds checking, and actually make the language useful for something ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones.  http://www.annexia.org/  http://www.j-london.com/
Learn Objective CAML - http://www.merjis.com/developers