[Gllug] Decoding digital video

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Wed Dec 8 10:21:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:19:38 +0100 (BST)
Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>    Hauppauge make their Nova-T terrestial digital tuner without a hardware
> MPEG decoder. The details on the boxes for a selection of video cards show
> an impressive list of rendering possibilities, but I did not notice anything
> like MPEG decoding. Did I miss something, or is this usually left to the
> main processor?

Hardware MPEG decoders are fairly rare in mainstream PC kit because the CPUs
are now so stupidly fast. If your box plays DVDs back OK then it's MPEG
decoding ability is fine. Hauppauge does do a DVB card with an MPEG decoder
but you have to import it from Germany. And it's expensive.

I have a feeling that the ATI all-in-wonder line of cards may have MPEG
decoding capabilities but I may be mis-remembering.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk