[Gllug] Simple blog software for noobs

Richard Jones rich at furbychan.annexia.org
Fri Dec 31 16:02:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 02:55:10PM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> And requires MySQL :(
>
> I really can't imagine any conceivable application of blogging that
> should require a full-scale database, or even a small-scale one
> "database" like MySQL.

On the contrary, I wouldn't trust any web software which _didn't_ use
a database.  There are just far too many exploits around which involve
file permissions and race conditions with files, which are all
trivially avoided by just using a database.  Whether you class MySQL
as strictly a database or not is a question for another thread.

Anyhow, looking at our intranet, I see we have a list of blogging
software which meets minimal requirements, which I compiled a couple
of months ago:

* Movable Type (non-free)
* b2evolution
* BLOG:CMS
* SPIP
* Textpattern
* WordPress

Of the above, I personally would recommend WordPress.  There's a
fuller comparison of the available blogging tools at this address:

http://www.asymptomatic.net/blogbreakdown.htm

Blogging sites, if you can't be bothered to install the software
itself:

* LiveJournal
* Blogger
* TypePad