[Gllug] ``Confidential`` .sigs

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Dec 6 18:22:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 14:00 +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> Just to harp on about the Coffee saga:-
>
> It is a well known fact that Coffee needs to be ideally brewed at sub-boiling
> temperature, but still well above scald-temperature.  I believe, from my
> Central-heating boiler manual that domestic hat water must be 60C or less to
> prevent scalding;  at that temperature the brewed coffee would be pretty
> disgusing I venture to suggest.  Tea, requires boiling water and hence is never
> quite the same when infused up a mountain!
>
> Any sane adult that purchases freshly brewed hot drinks must surely be aware
> that spilling it on any part of one's anatomy is likely to result in scalding.
> Sticking a paper/plastic cup of hot drink between one's leg is surely inviting
> disaster.

Read up about the case.
McDonalds specified that their franchisees served coffee at a much
higher temperature than any other outlet. The temperature had to be
regularly checked.
Their reasoning being that consumers take the drink home.
The poor woman was horribly scalded in her lap, and needed skin grafts.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk