[Gllug] IT disaster in British public authority caused by operator

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Dec 16 11:30:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 02:14:27PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Nix writes:
>
> >If the machines wouldn't boot, and crashed instead, and were too aged to
> >do netbooting, there may be no possibility of that :(
>
> "Too aged to do netbooting" is very aged indeed, and even in .gov.uk, I'd
> be very surprised to find machines like that

But less surprised to find staff like that.  I would not be at all
surprised if their IT staff lacked the skills, the knowlege and the
confidence to automate their network properly.

It's depressing but IT staff below a certain skill-level are actively
suspicious of automation and only trust things that are done manually
and interactively.

--
Bruce

Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards, apart from
ostriches if you punch them hard enough.