[Gllug] Ethernet problems with Debian

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Fri Dec 10 15:05:12 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm running Debian testing on a LinITX 600MHz eden system [1]. It's been
running well but it's developed some sort of config glitch after doing an
apt-get dist-upgrade.

After the upgrade I rebooted it and it no longer sees the network on eth0.
ifconfig reports the Link encap as UNKNOWN and it reports a 96 bit
hardware address (the correct 48 bit address followed by zeros).

lsmod suggests that the via-rhine module is loaded but if I do a modprode
via-rhine manually it happily installs the driver as eth1 and allows me to
connect to the network.

I've spent some time today rummaging around the internet trying to find
out exactly what's gone wrong but I'm a bit stuck. Does anyone have any
ideas how to troubleshoot this problem and get it correctly configuring
eth0 ?

Many thanks,

Simon.
[1] http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_67&products_id=301