[Gllug] Sound fine under 2.4.26 but nothing under 2.6.8

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Dec 7 17:33:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 15:32, Nix wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004, John Winters mused:
> > Looking good.  At least you've enabled me to get sound on a box
> > (Mini-ITX board) which has previously resisted months of concerted
> > efforts to achieve sound.  Why isn't this sort of thing documented
> > anywhere?
>
> Well, the INSTALL in the alsa-driver source tarball says quite clearly
>
> ,----
> | Note: All mixer channels are muted by default. You must use a native
> |       or OSS mixer program to unmute appropriate channels (for example a
> |       mixer from the alsa-utils package).
> `----
>
> and there is a file WARNING in the same place which says
> (ungrammatically)
>
> ,----
> |
> | WARNING!!! The mixer channels for the ALSA driver are muted by default!!!
> | **************************************************************************
> | You would use some ALSA or OSS mixer to set the appropriate volume.
> `----
>
> and that is printed at the end of `make install'.

Handy, once you've established that that's where you need to look.  If
you don't even know what kind of sound system is standard in the kernel
it's utterly useless.

> I can't really see many ways in which the ALSA authors could have made
> it more obvious, at least not without writing some actual end-user
> documentation, which they appear to be manfully resisting :(

Indeed, this is precisely the problem - a complete lack of up-to-date,
end-user documentation for Linux sound.

Having said that, the Gentoo Linux documentation which someone else
recommended is a good starting point and once you've discovered that
you're looking for things-beginning-with-ALSA you do start to find
little gems of information strewn about in obscure places.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk