[Gllug] Address range on D-link 300G+ modem

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.net
Wed Dec 8 23:50:23 UTC 2004

On 8 Dec 2004 at 16:49, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> > Basically you switch of NAT and set the outside and the
> > inside address of the router to
> > be the same address then on the Lan side (with your
> > addresses) you set:
> >
> > IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.233
> > Netmask:   255.255.255.252
>
> Well, the router negotiates .233 on the ADSL interface so you're
> saying I should manually set the same address on the LAN interface?
> What about routing tables on the router?

Yes that confused me when I was first told but it certainly works on the Netgear routers -
in any case the router knows which interface is which. I don't know if it always/usually
works or if its limited to Netgear.

I've seen talk of a similar trick where you use a cross over cable between two routers
and both ends of the cable have the same ip address.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk