[Gllug] OT: Printer Cartridges

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 13:51:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:08:31AM +0000, john gennard wrote:

> I have an Epson Photo 810 (which needs both a colour
> and a black cartridge to work) and no longer use it
> for colour printing. Although I set the default to
> 'black' (for all text work), the colour cartridge
> gradually empties. If I fill all chambers of an old
> colour cartridge, with black ink would the printer
> 'fail to notice'?

If the printer uses a "chipped" cartridge then when it registers empty
it will refuse to print, if it doesn't use chipped cartridges just put
the empty cart back in when the printer says it is empty. If it is
chipped then you won't be able to use refills but you could just buy
dirt cheap 3rd party ink cartridges from somewhere like ebay (i recently
paid 13 quid for a set of 3 black+3colour carts for my epson photo 900
which uses chipped carts) and just use them to fool the printer.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk