[Gllug] Transparent Terminal

Ashley Evans hoshy at hoshy.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 02:19:07 UTC 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 11:59, Tethys wrote:
> But whatever the memory usage, you simply can't disguise the
> fact that konsole and gnome-terminal are very slow.

Come off it, you're comparing things like xterm vs Konsole. This is *clearly*
a horses for courses situation.

There's no need to use a disparaging tone to dismiss something that you don't
use.  It's so clearly obvious that the likes of Konsole have a larger code
overhead that in many tests they will be slower.  But is anybody really
saying that you should stop using xterm or similar just because there's a
"better" terminal around? Just use whatever you like! (with some possible
exception. closed source, for example)

Konsole and the like are not /perceivably/ slower than the more lightweight
terms IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE REQUIRED LIBS LOADED.  This is surely the crux
of the matter.  If you have the libs loaded, why not use a term that take
advantage.

I'm very surprised that somebody who clearly has as much IT experience as
yourself can have what seems to be a very narrow view on bulkier desktop
software.  I'm tempted to go as far as saying your opinions sound elitist.

Cycle for cycle, I'm sure konsole is slower, it *must* be, for plainly obvious
reasons.  In many cases, I don't care.

I'm happy that you're happy with your choice of operating environment but
please don't bitch about mine.

Ashley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk