[Gllug] Sound fine under 2.4.26 but nothing under 2.6.8

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Mon Dec 6 15:58:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:49:21 -0000 (GMT)
"John Winters" <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:

> > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:12:33 -0000 (GMT)
> > "John Winters" <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> but the volume control on Gnome stays firmly at 0.  Any attempt to
> >> increase it and it immediately goes back down again.  AFAICS, no
> >> messages
> >> are generated anywhere.
> >>
> >> Any idea how to diagnose sound these days?  It seems to have become a
> >> completely black art.

looks like it's now using alsa with the the oss backwards compatibility. Try
un-muting the sound devices using alsamix. That's usually the problem with
newly-installed alsa systems.

You might have to apt-get alsa or alsa-utils but I can't believe debian let
you install an alsa enabled kernel without the relevant utils to go with it.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk