TMDA Re: [Gllug] New worm doing the rounds?

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 17:54:39 UTC 2004

Jason Clifford wrote:
> You are clearly authorised to use your email address and to send out email
> from that domain to do so. It's not reasonable to impose a limit
> preventing you from using your email address to send email except through
> your ISPs mail server.
>
> If the server hosting the gllug mailing lists were using SPF your mail
> would have been rejected.

Only if the MTA was set up badly (stupidly?).  The chances are bruces
mail would have sailed past the SPF checks just fine because UKLinux.net
does not have SPF records, and if you set up SPF properly (ISTR) you
wouldn't fail a check if a domain does not have an SPF record.

If Gllug implemented SPF, I am sure Bruce would fix his mail setup
sharpish ;)

>>The basic idea is good but it faces the problem that it doesn't become
>>effective until the practice is widespread, which provides no incentive
>>for early adoption.
>
> It's another non starter for anyone who values the freedom of separating
> their email address from their current connection etc.

I don't consider that to be a 'significant freedom', just as not running
open proxies and relays is not a 'significant freedom'.  Convenient[0]?
  Yes, sometimes, but then so is the convenience of not having to use a
password to log into any of our win98 machines at work.

Will.

[0]'Give me convenience or give me death'.
	Dead kennedys'
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk