[Gllug] Basic Firewall Policy

Harry Mantheakis harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 09:57:13 UTC 2004

I have set up a Linux production server at home, running Red Hat 9, and I do
not know how far to go in respect of setting up and configuring a firewall.

RH9 has a utility that lets you pick a level of protection, with options to
enable some protocols, such as WWW and FTP. This seems almost too easy!

I know that implementing computer security is, like home security, an
exercise in judging which risks are acceptable, and which are not.

The problem is, I have no idea how to make that judgement with computers!

So my question is: what would you consider to be the *basic* and *essential*
steps to take in respect of setting up a firewall?

Are there any firewall applications, free or commercial, that I should
consider?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Harry Mantheakis

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk