[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Tue Feb 10 10:34:14 UTC 2004

Looking at my backup MX maillogs, I see that it spends a lot of time
trying to deliver mail to users that don't exist.  This is because it is
configured to relay mail to my primary MX (which rejects mail to unknown
users).

What's the canonical way to prevent this?  If this were a large system,
presumably I'd be using LDAP or something similar to publish my user
account info so that the backup MX could check against this before
relaying.  However, it's a small system and it's overkill to do this.
Do I actually have to copy details of user accounts over to the backup
MX box?  Is there something stupid that I'm missing?

cheers,
jack
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk