OT: [Gllug] Debian or Slack

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Feb 23 17:58:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:48:30PM +0000, ben wrote:
> > Some people spend a lot of time compiling apps from
> > scratch for the
> > personal sense of satisfaction it gives them.  Good
> > luck to them but
> > they have more time than I do.  Others do it because
> > it makes them feel
> > 'leet, even though they only use the autoconf
> > scripts and don't know
> > makefile from a fairy cake recipe.  Such types
> > usually indulge in a lot
> > of tiresome penis-waggling about how this makes them
> > hard-core hackers.
> > If they do it in front of me, I usually aim to leave
> > them walking funny.
>
> I'd like to get away from this part of the thread. Yes
> slack users and others can sometimes be a bit "command
> line or die", but I'm not one. I do appreciate that
> you didn't aim this at me, though. :)

I wasn't aiming it at Slackware users in general, either.  Just off on a
tangential rant.

I like Slackware.  It's good to see people keeping a project as lean as
possible while still making it usable (please, nobody mention Gentoo at
this point).

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.