[Gllug] Undelete...?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Feb 5 15:07:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:13:49PM -0000, Kristian wrote:
> I realise this is a total newb question, but I find it hard to believe there
> is no way of recovering a file which has not been overwritten.

*nix filesystems are not designed with undeletion in mind.  If it's an
ext2 filesystem then you do have a few options but you need to use them
before making much use of the filesystem in question, or the space may
be re-allocated.

http://www.praeclarus.demon.co.uk/tech/e2-undel/howto.txt
Hasn't been updated for a while but should still hold good.

The tools in the e2fsprogs package are your friend.  You could make a
copy of the filesystem  (using e2image) and then work on that, for
example.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?