[Gllug] ext3 disk recovery?

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Thu Feb 26 11:20:32 UTC 2004

I was doing so well with Linux at home - having had a fatal Windows
crash on what was my only home machine I ended up getting a couple of
new machines, a home network and installing Linux (Morphix) on an
alternative disk I put in the original machine.

It was great until Monday night when I did some work and then started
getting errors coming up. I managed to logout but couldn't properly
shutdown - I can't remember the exact error message but it was something
along the lines of a problem with the ext3 partition and data being
written beyond the end of it. On rebooting, hda wasn't even recognised
by the BIOS.

On Tuesday evening I booted up with the Morphix to try and run a fsck on
the disk but to no avail. Interestingly, the BIOS didn't see hda when I
first started the machine but seemed to have found it again after my
first round of efforts. I span up on the Morphix disk again and tried
repairing / mounting the partition again but with no success. The
messages coming back were about a bad superblock.

Any suggestions for how I might be able to access the drive? I don't
think I trust it enough to put it back into regular use and I haven't
got any vital unbacked up data on it, but there are a couple of files
I'd like to rescue if possible.

I've done some reading, such as the Partition Rescue mini-HOWTO, but
would be interested in ideas and experiences people could share. I can
see the disk if I type fdisk -l (or is that partition info, which looks
correct) coming from previously created records. Can I do something like
zap the superblock and then get access to extract data, even if that
would prevent the system from booting from hda?

Wulf

--
Wulf Forrester-Barker (Webmaster)
The Lewisham Hospital NHS Trust

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: http://www.lewisham.nhs.uk/