[Gllug] OT: Spell Checker

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Feb 16 19:08:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 06:59:01PM +0000, leigh wrote:
> I'm looking for a keyword spell checker (similar to Google, but a
> little bit more lightweight) that I can bolt-on to an existing
> PHP/MySQL driven website. I've had a look at
> http://www.spellchecker.net/ and http://www.spellex.com/  but not only
> are they very costly solutions, they don't seem to provide a
> transparent result. i.e. when a typo check is performed, another
> browser window opens.
>
> Any ideas/proposals?

You don't mention exactly what usage scenarios you need spell
checking in. If its to augment a simple <textarea> entry field, then
the following provides a DHTML editor to replace <textarea> tags.
We've just built it into Red Hat CMS authoring UI & our users are
quite pleased with the result:

  http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/

Amongst many other things it includes a spell checker. In fact the
spell checker bit is just implemented using a perl CGI script
that calls GNU ASpell. If you don't want to use the whole thing, you
could possibly rip that CGI functionality out and call it from your
app. You'll be hard pressed to write a truely interactive "highlight
errors as you type" app in mere JavaScript. Depending on the level of
x-browser compatability you want, you'll probably need to accept it
opening in a new browser window too - the standard <textarea> componet
is just too limited to do anything fancy with - and there is no
alternative until you get to Mozilla 1.3 / IE 5.5 at minimum.

Dan.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|