OT: [Gllug] Debian or Slack

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Feb 23 17:58:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:47:09PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Simon Wilcox writes:
>
> >In an ideal world, a front-end server exposed to t'internet shouldn't have
> >any compilers on it. No compilers means less vectors for crackers to do
> >their worst.
>
> Which is why tomcat and/or resin are inappropriate for production use
> (amongst other reasons, I should add). But like you say, reality dictates
> that I have to deal with them, no matter how unpleasant a taste it leaves
> in my mouth...

I assume in this case you are referring to the requirement for an SDK
to compile JSP pages. This has always rather annoyed me too - in the past
I've considered writing some rules for ANT[1] to compile all the JSP
pages during the build process & create web.xml mappings for them all.

Dan.

[1] Along with most things in Java, ANT sucks in ooh so many ways. I
    never thought I'd be glad to be using automake/autoconf again.
    My current gripe is the lack of an 'if' statement means you have to do
    conditional execution of a rule, you need to do convoluted rubbish like
    writing a target that sets a variable & then invokes another target
    which has an 'unless' attribute set. Grr.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|