TMDA Re: [Gllug] New worm doing the rounds?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Feb 13 00:05:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Simon Rumble moaned:
> I happily predict that you, and everyone else, will have some form of
> challenge-response filter on your mail box in two years' time.

Apply thought to the problems of challenge-response in re

- mailing lists, and
- communicating with others who *also* use challenge-response.

Challenge-response systems are IMNSHO unworkable as a general
solution. Plus, they don't even help: if they get common, spammers will
start responding (how? set the reply-to to go to an autoresponder robot
on one of those zombie boxes...)

Then we'll see robot/robot autoresponder wars wasting net bandwidth as
*well*, and robot/robot/third-party wars...

No thanks. We can do without this half-baked `solution'.

--
`note to the crown prosecution service: Machine guns dont have a
 'stun' setting.' --- mjw
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk