[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Feb 10 18:58:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> > Come again?  If his primary is down, then his secondary will have to put
> > incoming messages onto the retry queue.  All that changes with call
> > forward is that this happens at a slightly earlier stage.  Am I missing
> > something or are you?
>
> Hmm.  I probably forgot to explain that with call forward, if the end
> system is down then the messages are placed on the retry queue *and call
> forward is retried when the end system is back up*.

Please clarify. Does this mean that the backup MX will reply with a
temporary error while the primary is down or that it will accept the
messages to process them once the primary is down?

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/		   Professional Hosting and Colocation

JustADSL			1Mb Home ADSL just £31.99 / month
http://www.justadsl.com/	   Business ADSL from £30/month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk