OT: [Gllug] Debian or Slack

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 23:11:38 UTC 2004

Bruce Richardson wrote:

> I've used Slackware before.  I even wrote a HOWTO on installing
> Slackware onto very old laptops.

I have a very old laptop (IBM TP 365, c. 1994) which I can *only* get to
run Slackware. I also tried Debian and Open/NetBSD. None of the Debian
boot floppies could find the NIC - more a problem with the ancient
PCMCIA bus than the NIC itself, which is a recent Intel one, I think.
This thing has no CD so it has to be installed over the network (I can't
be arsed with dozens of floppies). The BSDs both installed but the BIOS
refused to boot from a BSD partition.

I could probably have got Debian to work with some more effort. But
Slack just dropped straight in so I used it.

This is the only case where I have preferred Slack to Debian. Generally
Debian is much easier to manage IMO.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk