[Gllug] Yum or apt4rpm?

Nathan A. McCall nmccall at lokitech.com
Fri Feb 20 16:19:48 UTC 2004

I have found both yum and apt to be really easy to use with Fedora -
though the default repositories are painfully slow, even being less than
a few hours drive from RedHat headquarters in the states. Shop around
and find a fast mirror. It will make a huge difference.

Also, I found it really easy to set up a yum repository with apache -
you basically just serve the rpm packages and headers and tell yum where
to find each in /etc/yum.conf

A good list of mirrors is on fedora:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
(Anything mirror that has headers and packages will work since it is all
over http or ftp anyway)

No experience with apt repositories, though the following seems easy enough:
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/createredhatcdroms.html

Cheers,
Nathan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk